Monterey is rooted in a settlement that developed around a landmark known as the “Standing Stone” in the late 18th and early 19th centuries. The stone was as a guidepost for travelers along Avery’s Trace, and is believed to have earlier served as a boundary marker between the territories of the Cherokee and Shawnee.
The current town of Monterey was established in 1893 by the Cumberland Mountain Coal Company as a hub for its operations in the area. It was given the name “Monterey” after the Spanish term for “King of the Mountain”. Today the town slogan “Where Hilltops Kiss The Sky” is a perfect summation of the surrounding areas and the beautiful town of Monterey.”
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.